How many of you feel that there are times in our life when you simply don’t feel like of doing anything; you struggle to do your daily chore, in office you just somehow pass your time then forget about working on your goals like doing daily workout as almost everything seems so dreading that only thing that you love to do is NOTHING, You consciously keep procrastinating everything comes on your way as you feel no motivation of any sort to anything in your life.
But then time comes when you feel that you can no longer push the deadline of that project, you can no longer sit idle in your office, when you feel that you are just passing time doing nothing constructive in your life then some sense of urgency develops in back of your mind and you try to muster some courage and start your laptop to work on that project but as soon as you start working, your mind starts telling you that; you are low in energy, you are having pain in your body, you are getting headache, you don’t feel like of working now, you didn’t have sound sleep last night, you feel urge of taking break, checking Facebook for how many likes and comments your last posted photo or status update has got, let’s work on it later, I’ll surely start from tomorrow and that tomorrow never comes.
Instead of working on your important work your mind tells you to first do all the unproductive task like cleaning your mail Inbox/desktop, arranging your files and folders, taking back up and what not. Our mind tries to push our main works farther and keeps you busy with sense of doing some work but actually you are not going anywhere like running on a treadmill.
The more you stay in this state the more you are likely to sink deeper. Here are few things which you can try to get out of doing nothing state –
- Get into momentum – The Principle of inertia says “Any physical object has a tendency to do nothing or to remain unchanged until any external force is applied” which means if your default state has become doing nothing then you’ll keep doing nothing till you apply force of your will power to get into momentum of starting doing something.
- Make list of all the pending tasks – You must have heard this many times, make your to-do list before starting work and guess what? it actually helps as if you just keep all your pending tasks in your head then you may not get clarity on how many task you have got, which task are more important and which are not so important, you may get overwhelmed with thought that you have got so many task undone but actually you might have only 1-2 important tasks to do and rest are just unimportant. So create to-do list to get clarity.
- Prioritize your tasks – Problems arise when you think that you have so many important and urgent task in hand, which increases your stress level, gives you headache, you starts feeling dizzy. But if you make to-do list of your pending tasks and prioritize based on their urgency and importance then you may find that there are only 2-3 task which are important at the moment and rest can be done later.
- Start Small – Sometimes we get big project or task which we are not sure how to do it, at that time our brain plays an interesting game, our brain starts procrastinating by making us do various other tasks which are not important at the moment. To deal with this, best thing is to start small, if you try to do whole project in one go then your brain will say NO to you and starts doing some other easy tasks, it’s just like you have got 5 pound of black forest chocolate cake in front of you and if you try to eat it whole in one go then you simply can’t have it and even if you try then whole experience can be very unpleasant but instead of that if you just have one slice at a time and keep rest for later then you can easily finish the whole cake in less than a week time.
- Just Do it – Just pick up the task and start doing it.